We love Mexican food in our house and at least once a week we eat it out or we make it in. We love tacos, tamales, fajitas, and burritos. We also love salsa and chips, nachos and churros. We try to experiment with a lot of different flavors and combinations.
At a popular fast-food Mexican joint, they offer a Mexican Pizza. It is what I usually order when I eat there but I have never thought to make it at home.
Turns out, Mexican Pizza comes together quickly, tastes even better homemade and is fairly inexpensive to make.
The recipe is fairly easy to customize to fit your tastes. We like a Chicken Mexican Pizza but you could easily do beef or even leave the meat off for a meatless version. We used traditional refried beans but I think this would also be great with refried black beans. Take the method and make it your own. And don’t forget to enjoy!
- 8 medium sized flour tortillas
- 1 can traditional refried beans
- 1 can enchilada sauce (we use the green sauce)
- 2 roma tomatos, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 12 oz. precooked fajita chicken breast strips
- Shredded Cheese (colby jack blend or Mexican blend)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the refried beans in a microwave safe dish until warm.
- Chop the tomatoes and the green onion. Set aside.
- On a griddle or in a skillet, heat the tortillas until crispy. Flip often to avoid burning. If the tortillas puff up, poke them with the tip of a knife to let the steam escape.
- Place 4 crisp tortillas onto baking sheets. Divide the refried beans evenly and spread over each of the tortillas.
- Top each bean covered tortillas with another crisp tortilla. Spread enchilada sauce over each one. (You probably will not use all of the enchilada sauce.)
- Divide the tomatoes and chicken evenly among each tortilla stack.
- Top with cheese and sliced green onion.
- Place in a 400 degree oven until the cheese melts and everything is heated through.
- Preheat the chicken strips and your pizzas will cook faster in the oven.
- Pick up chips and salsa from your favorite Mexican restaurant to serve with this meal.